Can you share your thoughts and ideas for the steps that The Paradise Co-operative could take next?
E-mail us or us the comments box below, comment by 25th October.
What we’ve been doing
The Paradise Co-operative is a community initiative, and we express this in the following ways:
- Participation: coming together for gardening and other outdoor activities. Through these regular sessions, people find what they love doing, and it creates connection in our community
- Learning and education: adults and children of all ages learn outdoors and reconnect with the earth
- Events and celebration: we hold events and gatherings throughout the seasons to enjoy being outdoors, in each other’s company
We have recently worked hard to secure our future on Dobbins Field in the form of a successful planning application granted by Wandsworth Council. This means that we can keep using the site for gardening, and also retain the structures that we use regularly, like our sheds and yurt. We hope to consolidate this position with a formal tenancy arrangement with the Ministry of Justice in the near future.
Our site is used 6 days a week by various groups, and it feels like we are ‘at capacity’ in terms of what the physical site can absorb. We are also aware of the the risk of commodifying the space by increasing the amount of infrastructure in place.
The Trustees have agreed that they need to decide where the charity focuses its energy and re-source for the next few years.
What we could do next
There are several avenues that we could go down, for example:
- We could look for other spaces in the community to transform and regenerate for community use, possibly in partnership with other organisations (we have had offers from the prison, other outdoor charities and local businesses)
- We could expand our schools and education work in size and scope
- We could look to embed our participatory culture further
- We could add to the number of events, workshops and celebrations that we host
What we need from you
We’d like to engage your imagination and ideas on what we could do next. Please e-mail your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why is Paradise important to you? What do we do best?
- What should we do more of and what should we do less of?
- Looking to the future, are you still up for being an active participant on this journey with us? (if there are ways you would like to help more specifically, then please let us know)
- What do you think we should do next?